and others: my 10 most read AO3 stories
, and my guesses as to why...
1) "Exorcising the Demon" (Mirage of Blaze, Naoe/Takaya)--If there's a fandom I have any modest (and it is modest) celebrity in, it's MoB, and this is one of two times I've actually written Naoe/Takaya, which is everybody's OTP, so this stands to reason. Give 'em what they want.
2) "Patterns of Life" (Mirage of Blaze/Mushishi, Naoe/Ginko)--This surprises and pleases me. I have a lot of affection for this story, but I'm surprised that a long, multi-part crossover between MoB and a relatively small fandom, that (gasp) pairs Naoe with someone not Takaya should be so widely read. I guess it plays off the MoB love and Naoe love. Maybe it's a good read.
3) "And after Honesty?" (Farscape, Scorpius/Sikozu)--Damn, this is an old fic! My oldest on AO3. I guess it speaks to Farscape's enduring popularity, and probably to Scorpius'. It certainly can't be Sikozu's! Though I'm not alone in wanting a better explanation for Sikozu after PKW. Also a long one, also surprising people sat down and read it.
4) "Hope" (Blake's 7, Avon/Cally)--Well, B7 is well-loved, and Avon/Cally has a niche in many fans' hearts, even if it can't compete with Avon/Blake, and the fic is short, so that's probably it:) It makes me feel like posting my Blake/Avon fic, just to see what would happen.
5) "The Guilty" (Death Note/Monster, Tenma/Nina, Johan, L, Light, Watari, etc.)--Again, I'm a little surprised a long crossover picked up so many readers, but Death Note is a huge fandom. I do find it interesting, though, that this story scores way above its prequel: maybe I scared people off by slashing (sorta) Watari and Tenma?
6) "Addiction to Hands and Feet" (Texhnolyze, Ichise/Toyama)--Now, this surprises me! Texhnolyze is almost nil as a fandom, and this fic was written extremely fast and off-the-cuff. On the other hand, it is short and it is competing with very, very few other Tex. fics:)
7) "The Hammer" (Gungrave, Brandon, Harry)--Same as Tex., I expect: it's short, hence not scary, and Gungrave has picked up so few fics that it doesn't have a lot of clicky competition.
8) "Love Letters" (Banana Fish, Ash, Eiji/Sing)--It makes me smile that 19 people (or iterations) actually chose to read this 31,000 word fic from an old and, thus, rather quiet fandom (and a fic that doesn't even pair Ash and Eiji, well, not sexually). I worked really hard on it; I poured a lot of myself into it, so I'm glad it's pleased someone.
9) "Sons and Lovers" (Death Note/Monster, Tenma/Watari, L, B)--The "Guilty" prequel. Not picking up many readers, but I'm glad someone likes it. Again Tenma/Watari is scary? They only kiss.
10) "Love in a Finite Place" (Banana Fish, Ash/Eiji, Eiji/Sing)--The "Love Letters" sequel. I'm a little surprised it's read less than "Love Letters," given that my notes advertise it as a stand alone. It's shorter and it has the principals actually meeting in person. Maybe people are scared off by the "60 years later"? Maybe a lot just won't read a sequel till they reach it, and they don't make it through the 31,000 words?
And the boobie prize, with a grand total of 0 hits, goes to "Present Friends" (Mob, Naoe/Haruie)-- Boy, talk about an unpopular pairing:) It breaks people's minds so much they can't even bear to click:-)